Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ruth in Retirement...


On a recent road trip home from southern California, my friend Joan and I stopped in Ventura to visit Ruth Bockelman. She and Herb had built the Hale 'Aha Bed and Breakfast on Kauai, in 1990. Bob and I met them when we won First Prize on the KFAX Radio contest in 1992, and got to spend a week with them. We were privileged to serve as their Inn Sitters every winter after that, for 4 to 10 weeks, and we acknowledge their generosity in that. Those were perhaps the happiest years of our lives.

After Herb died suddenly from a heart attack, here on the mainland, Ruth discovered she could no longer run the B&B as before, in spite of helpful friends, and family. So, she eventually sold it, and retired to Hemet, CA, near her son. And before long, she moved to Ventura near one of her daughters.

When we found her residence, we signed in as guests, but I didn't want the clerk to let Ruth know who was here to visit her. I wanted to surprise her. She came down the elevator and looked intently at me, and said, "I can't think of your name, but I know I love you." We hugged, and I showed her a photo of Bob and me, and she said, "Oh, Doris and Bob!" And it was as though we had seen each other only last week.

She is content there, has beautiful grounds to walk around, and a lovely neighborhood to walk in, swimming pools, and gardens to enjoy. She chatted about old times, and mentioned people she remembers. My friend Joan took a picture or two with my camera, but I didn't have the flash set, so they are blurry. But this one of Ruth alone is sweet, and clear. I'm sure she would appreciate a note from you, though I'm not sure she will answer it. Maybe a phone call would do (but notes can be saved and reread).
Ruth Bockelman
1220 Cypress Point Lane #103
Ventura, CA 93003
Phone: 1-805 642-2401

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home