Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Toast to Bob Darrow...

Or how about a Baked Pancake instead? That was his favorite breakfast. When we served these delectable pancakes, he made sure that all the guests came into the kitchen to see them rising. The batter comes up above the sides of the pans.

I sometimes get credit for the recipe, but I'm just the one who brought it to Hale 'Aha. Lou Ann, a friend of our daughter Joanne's, got the recipe from her Aunt Lois, and shared it with us.

For 6 people:
Heat oven to 400 degrees
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in each of 6 non-stick cake pans
Beat 6 eggs with a mixer in large bowl
Add 1 and 1/2 cups milk
Sift and add 1 and 1/2 cups flour
Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
Add a dash of salt

Pour about 2/3 cup batter into each buttered pan.
Bake 15 minutes. Serve immediately, as they tend to "wilt."

In the meantime, heat some maple syrup. Prepare cut-up fresh pineapple, fresh papaya, sliced strawberries, served in separate dishes. Serve with ground almonds, chopped pecans, or chopped macadamia nuts. Keep your guests passing the various toppings 'til all have been tried.



Here in California, Bob's favorite topping was sliced nectarines, and fresh blue berries, with all the nuts and syrup. Today would have been his 78th birthday, and I would have made them for him.

3 Comments:

At April 16, 2006 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doris,
I don't know how I stumbled on to your site, but I did recently and now I check in every once and awhile. I got this recipe from you in 1976 for "Baked Eggs". I have held on to it and it is now a FAVORITE of our 3 girls. Mitch makes them at least once or twice a month...in the blender as I watched you do way back when. Our girls LOVE THEM. They are in the Austin Family Cookbook with a credit to you! Keep writing and we'll keep cooking. Love, Lynda Austin Richards on Whidbey Island

 
At April 16, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Doris said...

Yea, Lynda! glad to hear you are still baking these special goodies.

 
At May 26, 2006 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool, Mrs. D! Baked pancakes! I had forgotten these even existed. I remember having them once or twice (though not at your house).

But seeing that picture brought it all back to me. Thanks for recipe!

--Brock

 

Post a Comment

<< Home